The headquarters of Lourinhã’s Santa Casa da Misericórdia, founded by a licence from Filipe II dated 23rd July 1586, consists of three separate buildings from three different eras and in three different styles that do not detract from its fairly harmonious unity.
The church stands in the centre of the building, with the date 1626 inscribed on the tympanum. It is a typically Renaissance church with a single nave, vaulted ceiling and stucco walls. The retable of the high altar is from the eighteenth century, like the board members’ gallery and the Chapel of Senhor dos Passos, in baroque gilt wood carving.
The oldest part of the church is the eighteenth-century eastern end, which belonged to the Chapel of Espírito Santo and has a notable Manueline portal.
The eighteenth-century hospital stands at the western end, in the façade of which we find the main portal, crowned with D. João V’s coat of arms in white limestone.
But the Santa Casa da Misericórdia is mainly interesting for its fine museum pieces, in particular the collection of sixteenth-century painting. Here one can admire the two paintings attributed to the Master of Lourinhã: St. John the Evangelist on the Island of Patmos and St. John the Baptist in Meditation. Of Flemish inspiration, these are considered to represent the best painting of the period in Portugal. There are four paintings of great value - especially the one of São Jerónimo (St. Jerome) - by Lourenço de Salzedo, a mannerist painter of Castilian origin, as well as three paintings attributed to Francisco de Campos and a flag of the Misericórdia on canvas by Diogo Teixeira.
Coordinates: 39.242868, -9.314321